|the basic chili with beans mixture–not real pretty, but tasty!|
(serves 4 at least)
- ½ C diced onion (1 small onion)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 can S&W black chili beans–do NOT drain (If you cannot find this, use regular black beans and add 1 T pico de gallo spice)
- 2 cans Rotel chopped tomatoes (regular spice or mild, depending on your preference)
- 4 T butter or oil
- OPTIONS—see below for floating tacos, hot dogs or plain chili!
Heat butter or oil and add onion. Stir until beginning to cook. Add ground meat and brown (about 5 minutes). Add beans and Rotel. Cover and simmer until hot (5-10 minutes). Taste: add S&P, more chili if needed.
- Floating tacos: serve over Fritos, top with shredded cheese, lettuce, avocado and ranch dressing (or just sour cream
- Coney Island dog: slather over a hot dog with bun and add cheese and raw onions
- Plain old chili: serve in a mug for regular chili with cheddar cheese and any topping (onion, avocado, etc)–or none at all.
This freezes great. Just put into a plastic container or a baggie and freeze. Lasts about 3 days in the frige; lasts until the Apocalypse in the freezer. Just reheat (may need to add 1-2 T water).